It’s not a secret, HostGator is a well-known name in the hosting industry. But, high renewal fees and a sharp decline in the quality of their web hosting have many new and existing customers looking for the best HostGator alternatives.
In this article, I have included several HostGator alternatives that are more reliable and independently owned (and not associated with EIG). I’ll focus on shared web hosting and managed WordPress hosting, which are the most popular types of hosting.
- HostGator alternatives for shared web hosting.
- HostGator alternatives for managed WordPress hosting.
Why HostGator Sucks?
It’s owned by Endurance International Group (EIG). Do I really need to say more here? The company acquires smaller hosting companies and for some reason, runs most of them into the ground.
Just look at how HostGator operated prior to being bought out by EIG. Believe it or not, they were once a good web host that I recommend. Well, that is no longer the case.
HostGator has many problems, but here are the most common:
- Owned by Endurance International Group (EIG). With the exception of HostGator and Bluehost, all other EIG-owned companies are not very good or non-existent.
- High renewal fees (although, this is an issue with most shared web hosts). For example, their Hatchling plan ($2.75/mo.) renews at $7.99mo., which is almost triple the introductory price.
- The quality of their web hosting has been declining over the years (e.g. poor website performance, frequent outages and downtime).
- Slow customer support response times. Support is spotty at time and fails to resolve issues.
- Aggressive marketing throughout the checkout process. Some hosting add-ons are already preselected and if you don’t notice it, you’ll end up paying for it.
- They only have two data centers and they’re both situated in the United State (Pravo, UT and Atlanta, GA). HostGator automatically assigns a data center for you, so you don’t have the option to choose.
HostGator Alternatives For Shared Hosting
Shared web hosting is ideal for new websites, blogs, and anyone with a tight budget. It’s not the best type of hosting for websites with high traffic or websites that utilize a lot of resources.
This type of hosting is “shared.” In other words, your website shares the same server with other websites that are assigned to that server.
Keeping all of this in mind, the web hosts below are the best HostGator alternatives for shared web hosting:
#1 – Hostwinds
Although not as popular as HostGator, Hostwinds is an exceptional choice for shared hosting. They are independently owned, and based out of Seattle, WA. Hostwinds is praised for its rich resources, ease of use, and fast support.
In addition to standard shared hosting, the company also offers VPS hosting, Cloud hosting, dedicated server hosting, and reseller hosting. Unfortunately – Hostwinds doesn’t offer managed WordPress hosting nor ecommerce specific hosting.
Hostwinds does stand out by offering core features like:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited storage
- Unlimited databases
- Unlimited email accounts
- Free website migrations
- 24/7 website monitoring
- 99.9999% uptime guarantee
Hostwinds Control Panel 🖱
Hostwinds doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel here. It uses the latest version of cPanel, which is almost the industry standard nowadays.
If you’re not familiar with cPanel, I’ll be happy to say that it’s probably the most user-friendly control panel interface. Most of the tools and functions are easily accessible from the main page. You can also see your hosting account statistics such as the number of emails accounts, websites, and bandwidth usage.
Moreover, there are hundreds of applications that are compatible with one-click installation.
- Basic: $5.24, renews at $8.99
- Advanced: $6.74, renews at $10.99
- Ultimate: $8.24, renews at $12.99
The prices above are the monthly introductory rates that may include prepay discounts. The renewal prices shown is what you’ll pay to extend your hosting once your current introductory term ends.
The only real difference between their three plans is the number of websites that can be hosted – one with Basic, four with Advanced, and unlimited with Ultimate.
Why Choose Hostwinds Over HostGator? 🤔
- The company is independently owned and operated without any affiliation with EIG.
- More reliable with an uptime guarantee of 99.9999%.
- Reasonable renewal fees, with discounts available if you decide to prepay for a longer term.
- Hostwinds has a support department that’s years ahead of HostGator.
Try Hostwinds (Best overall HostGator alternative) 👍
#2 – DreamHost
If you’re not into Hostwinds, then DreamHost is the next best HostGator alternative worth a try. The company has over 20 years of experience in the hosting industry.
With a strong focus on hosting reliability and security, DreamHost has everything that you need to make the switch.
In addition to standard shared web hosting, DreamHost offers managed WordPress hosting, dedicated hosting, cloud hosting, and VPS hosting.
Some noteworthy DreamHost features include:
- WP Site Builder with over 200 WordPress themes
- Unlimited bandwidth & visits
- Daily website backups
- WordPress is pre-installed
- Automatic WordPress updates
- 97-day money back guarantee
- 100% uptime guarantee
DreamHost Control Panel 🖱
DreamHost uses a custom control panel interface. Their control panel was completely revamped with new features and functions. Although, it’s not cPanel, it comes fairly close in terms of simplicity.
The control panel gives you full admin access to all of your DreamHost products. Once logged into the control panel, you can edit domain information, configure email settings, add users, install WordPress, access promotions, etc.
Overall, the control panel is intuitive with almost no learning curve. If you’re use to the HostGator cPanel, you will not have any problems transitioning to this control panel.
- Shared Starter: $2.95, renews at $4.95
- Shared Unlimited: $2.95, renews at $8.95
Prices reflect the per month price if you prepay in advance for one year. Each plan will renew at the price shown. Other than the price, the only noticeable difference between the two plan is the number of websites you can host. Additionally, The Shared Unlimited plan includes unlimited email accounts whereas the Shared Stater plan charges an additional fee for email.
Why Choose DreamHost Over HostGator? 🤔
- More reliable with an impressive uptime guarantee of 100%.
- Independently owned and operated for over 29 years (no affiliations with EIG).
- Cheaper in all categories (intro, regular, and renewal pricing).
- DreamHost offers a 97-day refund guarantee compared to HostGator’s 30-days.
Try DreamHost (Best for reliability and refund guarantee) 👍
#3 – InMotion Hosting
InMotion Hosting was founded back in 2001. Since their launch, the web host has grown to over 170,000 customers and 500,000 WordPress installations to date. The web host has a strong focus on speed.
The company has managed to operate independently in the competitive hosting industry. Better yet, it has avoided an acquisition by EIG.
On top of traditional shared hosting, InMotion Hosting offers WordPress hosting, Woo Commerce hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated server hosting.
Some noteworthy InMotion Hosting features are:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- BoldGrid premium website builder
- Strategic data center placement
- Free email accounts
- 90-day money back guarantee
- 400+ one-click installations
InMotion Hosting Control Panel 🖱
Like Hostwinds, InMotion Hosting uses the standard cPanel control panel interface. As mentioned, cPanel allows you to manage your hosting account and websites from one central dashboard.
Since HostGator uses the same cPanel interface, the transition to InMotion Hosting should be smooth.
- Core: $2.49, renews at $9.99
- Launch: $4.99, renews at $13.99
- Power: $4.99, renews at $17.99
- Pro: $12.99, renews at $24.99
The minimum prepay for the Core, Launch, and Power plans is one year. Pro plan is eligible for month-to-month payments.
There are a few differences between the plans, mainly the number of websites you can host, email accounts, and storage space. Furthermore, the speed and performance gets faster as you upgrade to a higher-tier plan.
Why Choose InMotion Hosting Over HostGator?
- Speed – InMotion Hosting servers are impressively fast and there is less downtime.
- The option to choose a data center of your choice (whereas HostGator assigns you a random data center).
- A lengthy 90-day money back guarantee. The only web host with a lengthier money back guarantee is DreamHost, which offers 97-days.
- Like all the hosts on this page, InMotion Hosting is independently owned and operated for the past 20+ years.
Try InMotion Hosting (Best budget-friendly intro price) 👍
HostGator Alternatives For Managed WordPress Hosting
Managed WordPress hosting is made and fine-tuned for websites that use WordPress. It doesn’t work for any other types of websites.
The “managed” part means that the web host takes care of backups, security checks, and automatically installing and updating WordPress.
This type of hosting is ideal for established WordPress websites that have good traffic and a larger spending budget.
Here are the best managed WordPress hosting providers:
#1 – WPX Hosting
WPX Hosting was founded in 2013, and has quickly captured a large customer base. The company prides itself on their “30-second average support response.”
Not only is WPX Hosting a superior HostGator alternative, I truly believe they are the best managed WordPress hosting solution in general. This website (AOB Web) is hosted with WPX Hosting (see this WPX Hosting review).
WPX Hosting features include:
- Site speed optimization
- Malware removal and website fixes
- Unlimited email accounts
- 28 days automatic backups
- Hosting server selection
- Custom high-spreed CDN
- 99.95% uptime guarantee
WPX Hosting Control Panel 🖱
WPX Hosting uses a custom control panel. While it’s very easy to use, it’s much different from your traditional cPanel.
After you log into your WPX Hosting dashboard, you’re greeted by a page that shows all of your services. If you click on “manage services,” it will take you to the WPX Hosting control panel.
From the control panel, you can:
- Manage websites
- View & edit databases
- Configure email accounts
- Manage FTP users
- Edit DNS
- Manage website files
- Restore, create, and download backups
- Disable or enable WPX XDN
I do want to point out that WPX Hosting is one of the few managed WordPress hosting providers that has the option to manage website files via their control panel (very similar to HostGator and other shared hosting providers). Alternatively, you can use an FTP application like FileZilla.
- Business: $20.83, renews at $24.99
- Professional: $41.58, renews at $49.99
- Elite: $83.25, renews at $99
The prices above are for yearly prepay, which includes two months of free hosting.
The major difference between their plans comes down to the number of WordPress installs, storage space, and bandwidth.
Why Choose WPX Hosting Over HostGator? 🤔
- Their specialty is managed WordPress hosting. So, they are experts in dealing with WordPress and resolving any issues.
- When it comes to speed and performance, WPX Hosting is way ahead of HostGator.
- Their support department has an average response time of 30 seconds.
- Advanced security features, automatic malware removal, and website fixes.
Try WPX Hosting (Best managed WordPress hosting) 👍
#2 – Pressable
Pressable was founded in 2010 and has been delivering top notch service ever since. It’s built on the same data network as WordPress.com and WordPress VIP, which should automatically address any reliability concerns.
Out of the managed WordPress hosting providers listed here, Pressable is the more budget-friendly option. They have a nice little entry-level plan that can accommodate new, growing websites.
Noteworthy features include:
- 100% uptime guarantee
- No bandwidth limits
- 30-day backup retention
- One-click website cloning
- Strong data network
- Automatic failover
- Jetpack security (except on Entry plan)
Pressable Control Panel 🖱
The latest Pressable hosting dashboard is modern and intuitive. Most of the admin functions can be completed from the main dashboard.
For example, you’ll be able to manage your websites, clone existing websites, restore backups, and manage SFTP access.
Not much to it. You should have no issues transitioning over from cPanel.
- Price Range: $15.83 to $562.50
The prices above are for yearly prepays. Similar to other web hosts, the only differences between their plans is the number of WordPress installs, storage space, and the number of visits. In terms of pricing, I personally like their plan structure. There’s a decent number of plans that you can choose from. This is especially beneficial as when it comes to upgrading to a higher-tier plan.
Why Choose Pressable Over HostGator? 🤔
- Cloud-based hosting architecture, designed for performance and reliability. Much faster and more reliable than HostGator’s architecture.
- 100% uptime guarantee.
- The support department is more knowledgeable (especially with WordPress-related inquires) and faster to reach.
- You get the Jetpack security suite.
Try Pressable (Best for reliability) 👍
#3 – Kinsta
Kinsta is built using the Google Cloud Platform, making them one of the fastest managed WordPress hosting providers. According to a recent Kinsta study, their customers see up to a 20% speed boost simply by migrating to Kinsta
Aside from the speed, Kinsta’s technical support is second to none, with an average response time of 1 minute and 27 seconds.
Kinsta hosting feature include:
- Built using the Google Cloud Platform infrastructure
- Edge caching
- Built-in Application Performance Monitoring (APM) tool
- The option to choose your data center, which consists of 35 worldwide server location
- Advanced security features
- Automatic daily backups
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- Site preview tool
Kinsta Control Panel 🖱
Kinsta uses a custom control panel interface. From the dashboard, you can manage all your WordPress sites, databases, users, analytics, and applications.
- Price Range: $35 to $1,650 (or $300 to $16,500 per year)
Although, there’s a number of plans available, it gets pricey as you upgrade to the next tier. The plans are different in these areas:
- Number of WordPress installs
- Monthly visits
- Amount of storage space
- Amount of CDN
- Number of migrations
- Number of PHP workers
- The length of backup retention
Why Choose Kinsta Over HostGator? 🤔
- Uses Google Cloud Platform infrastructure.
- Fast website speeds with little to no downtime.
- Support response time is 1 minute and 27 seconds.
- The option to select a data center location.
Try Kinsta (Best for plan flexibility) 👍
HostGator Alternatives Conclusion
If there’s one thing you can take away from this article, it’s the fact that HostGator sucks and you should take your business elsewhere.
Google and visitors don’t like websites that are slow and down from time to time.
I personally despise Endurance International Group, and stay clear of all companies that they own (e.g. HostGator). More than half of the hosting companies that they acquire either fail or decline.
For that reason, all of the web hosts that I recommend on this page are independently owned and have a zero chance of being acquired by EIG.
Here’s a summary of the best HostGator alternatives:
- Best Overall Shared Web Host: Hostwinds
- Best Overall Managed WordPress Hosting: WPX Hosting
- Budget Friendly Managed WordPress Hosting: Pressable
If, for some reason, the web hosts that I included in this article don’t appeal to you, make sure you go with a host that’s independently owned. You’ll be better off.
Please comment below with the web host name that you switched or plan on switching to.
HostGator Alternatives: FAQS
Is managed WordPress hosting better than shared hosting?
Yes – but remember, managed WordPress hosting only works for WordPress-built sites.
What is the disadvantage of managed WordPress hosting?
Price and having to use WordPress.
What are the drawbacks of HostGator?
High renewal fees, quality of hosting servers, slow customer support, aggressive marketing and up-selling, limited data centers, and EIG-owned.